Dear Parents and Guardians,
I would like to welcome the school community to the 2019-2020 School Year! We are looking forward to working with all of you this year on behalf of Coast Mountains learners, and continue to make progress towards our School District goals.
Shared Vision …“Coast Mountains School District: creating opportunities for learning, opportunities for life.”
District Goals … Raise literacy and numeracy levels for all of our learners. Graduation for every learner; crossing the stage with dignity, purpose and options. Enhance learner engagement, opportunities and choice through personalized learning.
I look forward to working together to ensure that our focus on student learning is maintained while at the same time develop and foster a positive School District culture. It is only through, working together, that we can have the greatest effect on kids and learning.
School Opening … the first day of school will be Wednesday, September 4. We have well established routines and we will follow our normal opening day routines with a shortened first day. Buses will make their morning runs at the usual time on September 4 with their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours. Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School students please reference below for September 4 start times. As you will know, these first days allow us to greet students, set preliminary enrolment and then prepare in earnest for the coming school days. Our first full day of school will be Thursday, September 5 with regular school hours and bus runs in effect. Bus routes and school start times are provided below.
If you require information on which school your child should attend, please call (250) 638-4401 or 1-855-635-4931, Local 4401.
We look forward to welcoming your children in our schools on September 4.
Acting Superintendent of Schools
Kindergarten pupils are requested to begin attending
on the date arranged by the school. Pupils not pre-registered should register on the
SCHOOL OPENING – SEPTEMBER 4, 2019 FOR ALL STUDENTS
at the times as listed in the following 2019-2020 CMSD82 Return to School Messages
which will run in local newspapers in preparation for the new school year.
- On September 4 only, buses for all schools will make their morning runs at the usual time and their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours.
- On September 4, Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School, Grades 7 and 8, report to the large gym at 9:00 a.m.; Grades 9 to 12, report to their home room at 12:30 p.m. A second bus run for Mount Elizabeth Secondary will begin at 11:40 a.m. on September 4.
REGULAR SCHOOL HOURS AND BUS RUNS WILL COMMENCE
ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2019.
SCHOOL DISTRICT 2019-2020 BUS SCHEDULES/ROUTES
2019-2020 Hazelton-Kitwanga Bus Schedules-Routes – Effective Sept. 5, 2019
2019-2020 Kitimat Bus Schedules-Routes – Effective Sept. 5, 2019
2019-2020 Terrace-Thornhill Bus Schedules-Routes – Effective Sept. 5, 2019
(the above links provide one PDF file for each respective area with all bus routes/stops)
Terrace: School buses will only be provided to students living outside the city boundaries. Those students living within city boundaries should consult the Terrace Regional Transit System for scheduling information and rates at 250-635-2666.
Should you have questions or concerns regarding bus routing and scheduling the following steps are suggested:
1) Contact your child’s/children’s School Principal.
2) Contact the Operations Manager at Diversified Transportation bus lines at 250-635-7042 or 1-855-538-5287 for out of town.
In preparation for the 2019-2020 School Year, please find the School Supplies Lists as provided by Coast Mountains School District schools:
- Bear Valley School – 2019-20 Supplies List (Kindergarten to Grade 12)
- Ecole Mountainview – 2019-20 Supplies List (Kindergarten to Grade 6)
- Hazelton Secondary School – 2019-20 Supplies List (Grades 8 & 9)
- Kildala Elementary School – 2019-20 Supplies List (Kindergarten to Grade 6, English & French Programs)
- Kitwanga Elementary School – 2019-20 Supplies List (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Majagaleehl Gali Aks Elementary School – 2019-20 School Supplies Listing (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Mount Elizabeth Middle-Sec. School – 2019-20 Supplies List (Grades 7 & 8)
- Nechako Elementary School – 2019-20 Supplies List (Kindergarten to Grade 6)
- New Hazelton Elementary School – 2019-20 Supplies List (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Skeena Middle School – 2019-20 Supplies Listing (Grades 7 to 9)
- Thornhill Elementary School – 2019-20 Supplies Listing (Grades 4 to 6)
- Uplands Elementary School – 2019-20 Supplies List (Kindergarten to Grade 6)
- Cassie Hall Elementary School, Suwilaawks Community School and Thornhill Primary School provide classroom supplies to students for a fee. Parents/Guardians will be provided information during the first week of school.
- Caledonia Secondary School, Hazelton Secondary School (Grades 10-12), Parkside Secondary School, Kitimat City High School and Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School (Grades 9-12) provide information relating to classroom supplies to students during the first week of school.
Should you require further information, please contact Carole Gagnon, Executive Assistant at the Board of Education Office at (250) 638-4401 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to Coast Mountains’ students return to school on September 4, 2019.
Have a wonderful summer!
If you are a student who is required to take a Provincial Exam this summer, please read the information below. Additional information can be found on the Ministry of Education website.
Since all exams are electronic, you can locate the sample exams through the Ministry website link shared above. If you have never attempted an electronic exam, it is suggested that you take the time to practice with the ‘past exams’.
All Grade 12 required Provincial Exams will be administered electronically.
Exam Centre Location:
Northwest Trades & Employment Training Centre (NTETC), 3120 Highway 16 East, Terrace – (Google map directions – https://binged.it/2tMHVdz)
For complete information about the New Graduation Program, please visit https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca.
August Exam Schedule:
August 8 and 9 – access the following link for information regarding the August 2019 Provincial Exams Information.
Please email Mr. Geoff McKay, District Technical Skills Administrator at the Northwest Trades & Employment Training Centre (email@example.com), to inform him you wish to write an exam. Include the following information in the email:
- Full Name
- Home phone number
- PEN (Personal Education Number provided by the Ministry of Education)
- School currently attending (school of record)
- Exam intending to write (course name)
Students must show up one half-hour (30 minutes) ahead of the scheduled exam time with:
- Photo ID
- Your PEN (Personal Education Number provided by the Ministry of Education)
For further information, please contact Mr. McKay at 250-635-7944, ext. 8467 or toll free at 1-800-663-3865, ext. 8467.